There are three types of federal student aid (grants, loans, and work-study). To determine eligibility, you must complete the FAFSA (FREE Application for Federal Student Aid): www.fafsa.gov (never pay to file the FAFSA!)
FAFSA application opens online October 1st for students entering college in Fall 2023!
- Parents and students need to create their own FAFSA ID by going to https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm
- Apply as close to October 1 as possible - award dollars are often given away on a first-come, first-served basis
- February 1 deadline for completing FAFSA for TN Promise
- Remember - all students should complete the FAFSA regardless of whether you think you'll quality for aid - often this is used an eligibility tool for other scholarships and programs as well!
- Get the facts! Read these myths!
- Need help? Check out these videos.