MHMS is an academic magnet school, students must meet selection criteria (85% in reading, language and math) as determined by our testing done in February. The following is a timeline of important dates in order to seek enrollment at MHMS.
- Mid Sept - applications are available on our website
- Mid Sept through mid Dec - applications accepted
- Jan - those who have turned in application will schedule a testing appointment
- Saturdays in February - testing will be conducted *no make-ups without a doctor' excuse
- March - testing sent off to be scored
- Late March / Early April - you will receive information about your child's status (testing results)
- April - Public drawing
You must be a resident of Sumner County at the time of application.
Kindergarten applicants must be 5 yrs. old by August 15
85% or higher on a nationally normed standardized test in the areas of reading, language, and math.
Grades 6-12, an A/B average on the past two years report cards.
- In efforts to align the MHMS screening process with best practices in the use of data, initial screen results will be considered valid for a 3 year span. Students who are currently on the Merrol Hyde Magnet School waiting list and reach the three-year mark for reevaluation will be required to retake the MHMS entrance exam meeting the 85% or higher requirement in Reading, Math, and Language, and to provide the most recent report card showing a B average (grades 4-11) or an academic average of on track or mastery (grades K-3).